Ground piercing radar unveils Stockholm's 1897 expo.
Stockholm archeologists and amateurs are looking for remains of the 1897 expo that thrilled crowds back then with a replica of the original town and futuristic things like movies and x-rays.
The 1897 expo in Stockholm, which, although it never created a visual national symbol like the 1889 Paris exhibition with the Eiffel Tower, welcomed 1,253,571 ticket holding visitors when it closed after four months on October 3, 1897.
The hunt for the "lost city" is resuming following its start, two years ago, when some 400 people helped the Swedish Historical Museum to excavate the remains from the Public Art and Industrial Exhibition that was held in 1897 in the south section of Djurgården in Stockholm.ADVERTISEMENT
Ground penetrating radar surveys have been performed at that same location on Djurgården island, at Framnäs in a park area below the Skanska mine.
At that 1800's expo, visitors from prior to the turn of the last century were able to view "marvels" of their day such as x-rays and cinema. Nearby these, where late Victorian Age Swedes caught thrilling glimpses of their future, visitors walked through a reconstruction of Medieval Stockholm. This latter was described in journals of that day as having been one of the exhibition's highlights.
"It must have been a cool contrast. I think that this brings to mind both the technological developments and the historical efforts that we are experiencing in this day and age," commented Katty Hauptman Wahlgren, project manager at the museum. She added that, using ground piercing radar, they will now identify building remains to determine which sites merit further archaeological excavations.
The General Art and Industrial Exposition of Stockholm of 1897 (Swedish: Allmänna konst- och industriutställningen) also known as Stockholm Exhibition or Stockholm World's Fair (Stockholmsutställningen) was a World's Fair staged in 1897 in Stockholm, Sweden. The exhibition site was located on the island of Djurgården, and many of the structures on the western part of the island originated as part of the exhibition. These include Djurgårdsbron, the main bridge to the island, the Skansens Bergbana, the funicular railway now in the Skansen open air museum and zoo, and the Nordic Museum. One of the most prominent buildings of the exposition, a 16,820 m² (181,000 square feet) exposition hall in wood, designed by the architect Ferdinand Boberg and featuring a 100 metres tall cupola and 4 minarets, was demolished after the exposition however, together with many other pavilions built in non-permanent materials.
The Swedish King, Oscar II, at the time King over both Norway and Sweden and his entourage of VIPs were filmed live as they entered the exhibition for what is assumed to be one of the first live documentary films in Sweden.
Not quite as old, here is a link to the film with Katty Wahlgren of Historiska Museet / Sweden's Historical Museum at the time of the excavations two years ago: http://www.youtube.com/user/statenshistoriska