The Bishop Hill Heritage Association received the 2015 Richard H. Driehuas Foundation Preservation Award for Stewardship from Landmarks Illinois, a non-profit organization that recognizes excellence in historic preservation. The BHHA is a non-profit group dedicated to preserving the history of the Bishop Hill Colony.

The Colony was started in 1846 by Swedish emigrants led by Erik Jansson. The Bishop Hill Heritage Association was recognized for its restoration work on the 1854 Steeple Building, the 1853 Colony Store and the 1855 Dairy Building.


The BHHA was also part of a three-person panel discussion about historic preservation and stewardship, followed by the awards ceremony. The event was well attended, and many compliments were given about the work being done in Bishop Hill, Illinois. For more info, see

"Preservation is about protecting the places that enhance our lives on a daily basis. Our architecture defines who we are and keeping that legacy is a gift to future generations." Landmarks Illinois is the state’s leading voice for historic preservation: